Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I've come to the conclusion that my uterus must be quite cozy and homey.

NONE of my children have wanted to leave the comfort of Mama's body.

My first baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. He stayed put in his little nest for another 5 weeks and 4 days before my body finally wasn't as hospitable.

My second baby stayed put for a whopping 40 weeks and 4 days. He stayed where he was planted until there was no more room for him to grow. I'm convinced that he only made his way into the world because he had a charlie horse in his butt from being so cramped. Even with preterm labor issues. Even with dilating very early and being over 3 centimeters dilated at 35 weeks, he still said "oh no! I'm not leaving!" until 4 days after his due date. He came at last because of 3 things: 1) He was out of room and cramped. 2) He knew his grandma was about to leave town, so he was safe. 3) He did NOT want to be forced out by the induction the doc wanted to schedule for Tuesday---Which was the day he finally emerged; how's that for good planning on his part?

This pregnancy is no different, of course. My first ultrasound was scheduled on February 14th after I experienced some light spotting and called the hospital for advice---I was 8 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Baby measured 8 weeks and 6 days. Baby had a great heartbeat and looked great. Wiggling just a little and soaking up the coziness.  My second ultrasound wasn't such a happy event, unfortunately. I went back in my 11th week on March 4th and discovered that baby only measured 9 weeks 5 days. That is 6 days worth of growth in 3 weeks. There was also no heartbeat. By my math, that means that baby stopped developing 6 days after my initial ultrasound: February 20, 2011.  Today is March 23, 2011. We are at 4 weeks and 3 days after the point at which this baby ceased to live. But, he is still holding tight in there.

So, my only conclusion is that my uterus is filled with tasty snacks and beverages. Is warm and cozy and soft and fluffy and full of awesome entertainment. Basically, its the cool place to hang out.

Not that I begrudge this baby any time that he wants to spend in there, keeping himself company with mama's heartbeat and snacking on all the delicious foods mama cooks, but the waiting is starting to take its toll. I've gone past having enough time to deal with the emotional part of what is to come and had enough time to over-analyze and over-plan and over-think. Its 3 am and I'm sitting here on my computer when I have a big comfy bed in the next room. Instead of sleeping, I just lay there wondering when it would happen. How long it would take. Who I'd need to call. Who I'd get to watch the Smidget. How my hubby will deal with it. How I'll function to do what I need to do on a daily basis while dealing with it.  Very very difficult to get sleep when you have that much on your mind...

So, I'm left to ponder random things. Like how awesome my uterus must be.

Maybe I should get a stereo installed in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment