Mini-rant---I hate that people call today 4th of July. Like the 3rd of July could possibly be as special or something. Its INDEPENDENCE DAY people. Yes, it takes longer to write, but we don't refer to Christmas as 25th of December. I don't go around saying "Happy 25th of December!" So, I want to punch everyone in the face who's status is "Happy 4th! Gonna go eat some ribs and ride roller coasters with my friends!" People have NO sense of history or pride in what is really important---just appreciation for a day off and an excuse to party. *end rant*
That being said, Happy Independence Day from all of us here. Always remember what was sacrificed so that we could call ourselves Americans and so that we could have the freedoms we now possess. And NEVER forget the lives that were lost in the process of procuring those freedoms AND maintaining them. RIP Sgt. Derek Shanfield June 10, 2010.
We'll be teaching Ax the true meaning of the 4th just as we'll teach him the true meaning of Christmas.
I always thought it was a little strange that we celebrate the day we declared our independence from England...nothing really actually happened on that day in 1776 except a piece of paper was singed. Doesn't it seem like we should celebrate September 3, 1783 (the day the Treaty of Paris was ratified) or September 17, 1787 (when the Constitution was signed) instead? Between 1776 and 1787 we were basically a lawless bunch of colonies that hid in the bushes and shot at the red coats...doesn't it seem more appropriate to celebrate the signing of the Constitution and the official creation of our country instead?
ReplyDeleteOK, that's my INDEPENDENCE DAY rant :)
Haha---I agree. The assigning of July 4th as our celebration of our nation is pretty arbitrary. Although, it was the signing of "the Declaration of Independence," so it makes sense a little. Why not the day of the end of the war/Treaty of Paris? Hell, why not the day General Washington scratched his ass crossing the Delaware? I mean, there were LOTS of days that spelled freedom.
ReplyDeleteBut, we do celebrate Christmas on Dec 25th because its the winter solstice and we stole the date from the pagans, so we're pretty used to just deciding we want a party and not letting reason or logic get in our way.
I declare today, July 9th, as Princess Day. In honor of Princess Day we will all refuse to do any work (just like on national holidays), drink, eat delicious food, and just for fun, we'll all wear teal and purple doing it (because purple is a good color and there are no holidays which already use that color and teal is just an awesome color and should be used more often anyway---I'm sick of red and pink and green! DAMN THE MAN!!!)