Monday, November 21, 2011

Co-Sleeping

I've heard people say "oh, you need to get that kid out of your bed!" and "how do you have romantic time?" and other comments of disbelief when they discover that my 2.5 year old still sleeps in my bed most nights. Not that its any of their business, but I figured I'd share some of my reasons for cosleeping and some of my reasons for continuing to do so for so long.

1) I sleep more soundly when he's with me. I'm not worried about  him.
2) I get more sleep with him with me. He doesn't wake in the night and need me to go comfort him to sleep.
3) I get to wake up to a beautiful blonde grinning face and "I wuz you, Mama" and hugs and kisses. My husband is gone in the morning when I wake up, so its nice to wake up with someone lovey and sweet even when my hubby can't be there.
4) When he's sick, he is right next to me and better able to be propped so his sinuses drain.
5) When he was nursing, I didn't even have to wake up to nurse. He'd find it in his sleep without ever waking either of us. So we BOTH slept longer and more soundly!
6)Nightmares. My husband is very prone to nightmares. He has them nightly to the point where even he wakes up sweating and freaked out. Apparently, they're genetic because my son does the same thing, even when he was just a baby. Instead of waking up and then freaking out because he was alone, he would freak out and wake himself up. If he manages to fully wake himself up, it can take hours of snuggling to get him back to sleep. BUT, if I'm right there beside him and can hold him while he sleeps and comfort him if he does start to have a nightmare, he will soothe back into sleep. He doesn't have dreams like this every night, but when he does he will have them all night long over and over. He typically does it once a week or so, but there is no way of knowing when it will happen.

I'm not saying I don't want my bed back. I do. I miss getting to wake up next to my husband. I miss falling asleep in his arms. I miss the intimacy. But, my son is only now becoming able to understand what is happening when he wakes up from a nightmare. So, now its time to transition. But, only because BOTH of us are ready!

1 comment:

  1. Well reasoned. It sounds like it works best for everyone. He will probably transition on his own, in fact it sounds like he is starting to.

    When i was little i slept on the floor next to my parents bed when i had nightmares, and i did it till i was about 8.

    ReplyDelete