Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gross!

Starting yesterday morning, I had Smidget's diaper off for a few hours (our way of combating diaper rash since his little butt is super sensitive). He started farting, so I scooped him up and put a diaper on him in hopes of warding off any carpet-cleaning if he did make a big stinky.

When I went to put the diaper on, I had to wipe his behind a bit because his fart had been a little "wet"- but, instead of the normal colored poo, the gunk on his butt was yellow and seedy. I figured it was because he'd been breastfeeding a lot more and refusing solid foods. Normal 100% breastfed baby poo is bright yellow and has little whitish specks in it called "seeds"---this was a lighter color of yellow and seedy, so it was normal, right?

I put his diaper on and let him do his thing for a couple of hours. Finally he pooped, but it wasn't much and it was all liquid. Again, thats pretty normal for a breastfed baby (Smidget didn't have his first solid poo until he was 8 months old because, even though he ate solids three times a day or more, his breastmilk intake far outweighed his other food intake). This liquid mess was pretty low volume, a darkish yellow, and seedy. Pretty "normal" in the world of baby poo and breastfed baby poo especially.

I cleaned him up, changed him, and put another diaper on just in case he wasn't done yet. He didn't poo again (he normally has one big poo per day, so a small one usually bodes for another small one later). He farted lots and had a little leakage, but not enough to judge color or consistency or anything.

Then, this morning, I let him have some diaper free time after being cooped in a damp diaper all night, but kept a clean diaper on hand and stayed right beside him so that if he started grunting I could get it on him before it was too late (small poo yesterday morning and no poo at night means a BIG morning poo this morning). I was talking to Jenny on the phone when he wandered toward the bathroom (which he does now when he wants to pee or poo). So, I jumped up behind him with the diaper in hand and hoped I'd get him on the potty in time and not have to use it...he got to the doorway of the bathroom and leaned back with an uncomfortable look on his face right as I went to pick him up and let it loose.

LIQUID poo again. Right on my carpet (if he'd gotten 8 inches further into the bathroom I wouldn't have had to break out the steamer---oh well).

I rinsed his butt with my shower sprayer and then stuck him in the bathtub with a couple of inches of water to splash while I cleaned the mess in the doorway and foot-prints from his crawling away from the mess.

He was upset that he pooed on the floor (he always fusses after he has an accident), so I calmed him and cleaned it up right away. This time the poo was pale yellow and had chunks in it that were more the texture of his regular poo (he did eat some solid food yesterday), but maybe a little firmer than normal. But the chunks were VERY pale yellow, almost white.

I'm concerned, but he's showing NO signs of anything strange and his sleeping habits are back to 100% NORMAL. No fever, no fussiness, no refusal to eat (although he really just wants boob instead of solids, I think its because he's teething because his gums are a little swollen where his next teeth should come through).

Since teething can cause diarrhea and his low-solid diet can cause color changes, I'm going to try to get him to eat more solids today and see how it goes. If he starts refusing to eat or gets a fever or any other signs of anything bad, I'm going to take him in immediately.

He even refused PIZZA yesterday in favor of the boob! Is this kid crazy?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment